Cornelia Tzana ‘17 / Emertainment Monthly Assistant Comic Books Editor
Between new releases, comic book movies and exclusive variant covers, there are many great things happening in the comic book world! Emertainment Monthly will be collecting some of the most exciting ones at the end of every week.
- Archie Comics revealed the full line of retailer exclusive variant covers for this summer’s ARCHIE relaunch series created by Mark Waid (story) and Fiona Staples (art). The artists that have given their talent are many, including J Scott Campbell, Brittney Williams, Jae Lee, Terry Moore and Cameron Stewart. The first issue of the all new Archie, which will be getting a first issue for the first time in more than 75 years, will be launched on July 8. You can buy most variant covers for $3.99 or pre-order them for a 15% discount. Take a look at the complete list of retailer exclusive covers here. You can also check out the full list of variant covers here.
- Marvel announced that Star Wars #6 will be returning for a second printing since it sold out at the distributor level. This issue, created by Jason Aaron (story) and John Cassaday (art), turned the Star Wars fandom upside down with a dramatic revelation.
“…the events of this issue have massive implications for the whole of the STAR WARS franchise” – ComicBook.com
“…it’s pretty impressive to watch Marvel grab the “Star Wars” canon by the rug and rip it out from under many fans. Bold move.”– Los Angeles Times
Star Wars #6 will be returning to stores this July.
- Giant Days (BOOM! Studios), the comedic series from creator John Allison (Bad Machinery, Scary Go Round) and artist Lissa Treiman, has evolved from a six-issue miniseries to a full 12-issue due to popular demand. To celebrate, BOOM! Studios will re-release the first two issues (which sold out) in Giant Days: Orientation Edition, a collection of Giant Days #1-2 with a variant cover by John Allison that can be pre-ordered for the half price of $3.99 under Diamond order code APR158446. The collection will be released on July 1st.
- Ever looked longingly at your younger cousin’s Avengers coloring pages? Now you can have your own! Marvel will be releasing three coloring books for adults starting this October with the Age of Ultron Coloring Book, which will be followed by the Civil War Coloring Book and Little Marvel by Scottie Young Coloring Book in 2016. Check out an exclusive preview below:
- Cartoon Network has revealed the new character designs and new voice actors of Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup for the all new Powerpuff Girls series.. The show will feature Amanda Leighton as Blossom, Kristen Li as Bubbles, and Natalie Palamides as Buttercup. A nice surprise for the fans of the old series is the announcement that Tom Kenny will return to his original series role as the Mayor and the Narrator. Created by Craig McCracken, the series premiered in 1996 and earned two Emmy Awards along with five nominations. The Powerpuff Girls will be back on your TV screen in 2016.
Following the announcement that Lumberjanes will be getting a movie, Noelle Stevenson fans have some more great news coming their way. Fox Animation has just picked up the rights to Noelle Stevenson‘s award-winning, bestselling graphic novel Nimona! with Patrick Osborne, the director of the Oscar-winning Disney short Feast, being on thez helm of the project. Nimona! was started in 2012 as a webcomic which also served as Stevenson’s senior thesis for the Maryland Institute College of Art. Earlier this year, the entire series made its way to store shelves in a graphic novel published by HarperCollins. Nimona has been nominated for an Eisner Award, and won the Slate Cartoonist Studio Prize for best webcomic in 2012.
- IDW Publishing launched its new series of comic apps for Apple iOS. The new apps feature the entire IDW line of over 3,500 comics and graphic novels with an improved interface that will make the app more user-friendly, allow in-app purchases, and include “stunning motion books” featuring Transformers, My Little Pony, and Star Trek. The complete line of IDW apps includes the IDW Comics app, which features the full IDW digital library, as well as the individual apps for some of IDW’s premier comic book series such as TRANSFORMERS Comics, Star Trek Comics, and TMNT Comics. To celebrate this launch, IDW is offering new users 15 free premium collected editions plus dozens of motion books, which is quite the bargain. The offer will be available until July 12th!
- In a collaboration with Electronic Arts and DICE, Dark Horse will be publishing Mirror’s Edge™: Exordium, a six-issue limited series that takes fans deeper into the backstory of Faith, the protagonist of the new Mirror’s Edge™ Catalyst video game. Written by DICE’s narrative director Christofer Emgård, with art by Mirror’s Edge in-house artists Emgård, Mattias Häggström, Robert Sammelin, Henrik Sahlström, and Erik Persson, Mirror’s Edge: Exordium is the perfect introduction to the game’s lore. Dark Horse seems very excited to be working with DICE on this project, the first issue of which we will be seeing in stores starting September 9 for the price of $3.99.
- DeviantArt, a website designed for artists of many mediums to present their work, is holding a Science Fiction Comic Contest with a prize of $30.000. Contestants have to enter their original sci-fi comic to the LINE Webtoon universe to qualify. DeviantArt has been the starting point for many comic book artists that have then moved on to have their work published. This contest will definitely showcase some great works. So grab your art supplies and start creating! Find out more here.
Heard about a news story that we missed? Let us know in the comments!