Cornelia Tzana ‘17 / Emertainment Monthly Assistant Comic Books Editor
Between new releases, comic book movies and exclusive variant covers, there are many great things happening in the comic book world! Emertainment Monthly will be collecting some of the most exciting ones at the end of every week.
In this issue of Comic Book News: Marvel announces “Ant-Man” premiere livestream, Kelly Sue DeConnick said she is leaving “Captain Marvel” and “Saved By The Bell” makes its comeback in comic book form!
- Marvel invites all of its fans to watch the World Premiere of Ant-Man on Monday, June 29! The event will be co-Hosted by Marvel.com’s Tamara Krinsky and Lorraine Cink and will feature multiple celebrities including Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Evangeline Lilly, Corey Stoll, Judy Greer, Michael Peña, David Dastmalchian, Tip “T.I.” Harris, Wood Harris, Abby Ryder Fortson, Gregg Turkington, Martin Donovan; Peyton Reed (director), Kevin Feige (producer), Stan Lee, Michael Grillo (executive producers), Russell Carpenter (cinematographer), Shepherd Frankel (production designer), Dan Lebental, Colby Parker (editors) and Adam McKay (screenwriter). As an extra gift, viewers will be able to see the debut of an EXCLUSIVE clip from Marvel’s “Ant-Man” at the end of the livestream.
Watch the red carpet world premiere of Marvel’s Ant-Man on Monday, June 29th, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. PT/9:00 p.m. ET at emertainmentmonthly.com!
- Kelly Sue DeConnick is leaving Captain Marvel after the end of the current Captain Marvel & The Carol Corps miniseries. This was one of the many announcements Marvel has been putting out in the past couple of weeks. DeConnick wrote the relaunching of the character as Captain Marvel beginning in 2012. She has been the primary writer of the character and her work proved popular enough to lead to a spin-off Ms. Marvel series and the announcement of a Captain Marvel movie by Marvel Studios for 2018. On June 23rd, Marvel announced a new Captain Marvel series written by Tara Butters and Michele Fazekas with Art by Kris Anka which will hit the shelves this fall.
Earl Norem, cover artist and painter passed away Friday, June 19, according to his grandson. Norem worked for Marvel Comics’ founder Martin Goodman and the predecessors of Marvel in a variety of magazines, in addition to creating art for Reader’s Digest among other magazines. For Marvel, he produced covers for Dracula Lives, Tale of the Zombie, Savage Sword of Conan, as well as the core superhero line with Hulk, Amazing Spider-Man: The Big Top Mystery, The Deadly Hands of Kung Fu, Moon Knight, The Silver Surfer and others.
- This past Wednesday, Marvel announced the return of SPIDER-GWEN in a brand new series. Jason Latour, Robbi Rodriguez and Rico Renzi will be returning to chronicle the adventures of a fan favorite! “This book has defied all expectations, mine included, and has continued to thrive and grow,” says series writer Jason Latour, in an interview with Marvel.com. According to Marvel, the new series will give readers the answers that have been waiting for. Don’t miss the exciting series debut, coming to comic shops once more this fall in SPIDER-GWEN #1.
- Saved By The Bell, an essential part of many an American’s childhood, is coming back in comic book form! Your favorite characters will be returning in a full-length graphic novel by IDW and Lion Forge which will be created by Joelle Sellner (story) and Chynna Clugston Flores and Tim Fish (art). The new story however will be out with the 90’s and in with the era of the internet. The first, oversized, 112-page issue will be coming out on July 1st for the price of $12.99. Take a trip down memory lane and grab a copy of the all new Saved By The Bell graphic novel!
Check out a preview here.
- David Tennant, reknowned Doctor Who star, will be joining the voice cast of the upcoming animated film adaptation of Chew. Created by John Layman (story) and Rob Guillory (art) and published by Image Comics, Chew tells the story of Tony Chu, a detective with a secret.According to the official synopsis of the comic book, “Tony Chu is Cibopathic, which means he gets psychic impressions from whatever he eats. It also means he’s a hell of a detective, as long as he doesn’t mind nibbling on the corpse of a murder victim to figure out whodunit, and why. He’s been brought on by the Special Crimes Division of the FDA, the most powerful law enforcement agency on the planet, to investigate their strangest, sickest, and most bizarre cases.” Tennant will be voicing the role of Mason Savoy, a mentor to the main character. The movie adaptation will be directed by Jeff Krelitz and will also feature the voices of Steven Yeun and The Guild’s Felicia Day.
Heard of a news story that we missed? Let us know in the comments!